Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Second Grade "Fossils"

Rock Strata Designs

"Earth"

I was looking for a project that would tie in with the second graders unit on fossils when I found this  print by Catherine Holcombe.  It reminded me of the rock strata graphs from a geology class I took a long time ago.  I thought it would be a fun way to combine fossils with lines and patterns.








We began the class with a review of the elements of art and some practice patterning.  Then we started the project with some horizontal lines that would represent the rock layers.















After a discussion about the kinds of patterns and fossils that could be used to represent the different rock layers the students got to work adding pattern. When they finished drawing they used black sharpies to outline everything.















When everything was outlined they used watercolor pencils to color the layers.  One of the things I tried to emphasize was using contrasting colors and values so that the layers would stand out.  I also encouraged the students to color in some of the individual shapes within the layers and not scribble over the patterns they had created with the sharpie.












When they finished with the coloring they used water to activate and blend the watercolor pencils.






Finished Rock Strata Designs 








No comments:

Post a Comment